ASHLAND, Va. – The 15th ranked Johns Hopkins Blue Jays took advantage of penalty corner situations as they defeated the Yellow Jackets 3-0 on Monday night.
Score: Johns Hopkins 3, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Johns Hopkins 6-1, Randolph-Macon 3-2
How It Happened
- JHU got the early advantage as about a minute and a half in, the Blue Jays' Sarah Matyas scored off a penalty corner from the inserter Abby Birk, as Matyas sent the ball above the R-MC defense and into the back of the cage.
- R-MC got a big chance a few minutes later as sophomore Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) got a shot on goal that was saved by JHU's goalie, Jodie Baris.
- In the 29th minute, R-MC got another solid shot on goal from freshman Catie Burnette (Williamsburg, Va. / Woodside), which was followed by an R-MC penalty corner and a second shot by Magill that was blocked a few moments later.
- JHU got a penalty corner in the 40th minute that the Blue Jays were able to convert into a pair of shots on goal, with the second of the two shots, a rebound from the save, that slipped in. Birk was credited with the goal.
- R-MC had another chance near the cage as the Yellow Jackets got a penalty corner around the 46th minute that resulted in a shot by sophomore Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) that was blocked. A second corner resulted in a shot on goal by Magill in the 56th minute.
- JHU got its final goal inside of two minute to play as Maddie Brown-Scherer took her own rebound and slipped it in the cage.
Inside the Numbers
- Both teams had four penalty corners in the first half, but JHU had the 5-3 advantage in the second half.
- Freshman goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) made 14 saves on the game.
- JHU had the 25-9 advantage in shots.
- Magill led R-MC with three shots, with two coming on goal. Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) also had a trip of shots throughout the match.
- Sophomore Megan May (Hayes, Va. / Gloucester) and freshman Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) each contributed a defensive save on the evening.
Randolph-Macon will face Roanoke at 1:00 PM on Saturday in Salem. The team will follow the conference opener up with a match against Concordia-Wisconsin at 11:30 AM in Newport News at Christopher Newport University (Captains Turf Field).