VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) completed 11 of 15 passes for 147 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Randolph-Macon football team past The Apprentice School 35-3 on Saturday afternoon in the inaugural Neptune Bowl.
Score: Randolph-Macon 35, The Apprentice School 3
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Virginia Beach Sportsplex
Records: Randolph-Macon 9-2, Apprentice 6-4
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets took the opening kickoff and started on their own 34. Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) ran 24 yards on the first play from scrimmage. R-MC faced 3rd and 5 at the TAS 37 when Estes hit senior wide receiver Trey Owens (Havelock, N.C./Havelock) on a nine-yard pass for a first down. On the next play, Estes hit Owens with a pass that went down the sideline for a 28-yard touchdown for an early 7-0 lead. The R-MC defense forced a punt by the Builders, but the ball glanced off the leg of a Yellow Jacket and was recovered by TAS on the RMC 25.The Yellow Jackets kept the Builders out of the end zone, but a 40-yard field goal made it 7-3 with 6:28 left in the first period.
- The ensuing kickoff went out of bounds, giving R-MC the ball on its own 35. The Yellow Jackets used eight plays to reach the end zone, as Estes hit senior running back Marcus Bazala (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) on an eight-yard scoring strike to expand the lead to 14-3 with 1:50 left in the first quarter.
- R-MC twice moved deep into TAS territory but came away with no points. Sophomore linebacker Erik Harris (Carrollton, Va./Smithfield) blocked a field goal attempt, giving the Yellow Jackets the ball on their own 28 with 2:13 left in the first half. Estes connected with senior wide receiver DeAndre Gill (Roanoke, Va./William Fleming) on a 50-yard pass to the TAS 22. R-MC faced 3rd and Goal from the TAS 6 when Estes found Owens again for a TD with 42 seconds left as the Yellow Jackets led 21-3 at intermission.
- Frederick had a 12-yard touchdown on his final collegiate carry to give R-MC a 28-3 lead with 6:18 remaining in the third period.
- Looking at 4th and 6 on the TAS 21, freshman quarterback Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) scrambled 21 yards for a touchdown with 3:12 remaining to make the final 35-3.
By The Numbers:
- Frederick carried the ball 14 times for 93 yards and one score. He finished with 1,184 yards on the ground this season. For his career, Frederick amassed 5,240 career rushing yards, the second-highest total in state history behind the 5,349 yards by Thomas Haskins of VMI.
- Junior running back Jordan Hall (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) had 10 carries for 63 yards.
- Senior safety Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) led the R-MC defense with six tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss and one quarterback sack. Junior linebacker Matthew Vergara (Chesterfield, Va./Benedictine) and freshman linebacker Zyreon Jones-Walker (Hopewell, Va./Hopewell) both had five tackles and shared a tackle for loss. The Yellow Jackets had eight tackles for loss.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets tied a program record of nine victories in a season.
- R-MC won its second bowl game appearance. The Yellow Jackets posted a 47-28 victory at Bridgeport in the inaugural Knute Rockne Bowl in 1969.
- The R-MC senior class now has 34 career victories, a program record.