ASHLAND, Va. – Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) rushed for 143 yards and senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) threw for 218 yards and two TDs as the Randolph-Macon football team defeated Hampden-Sydney 45-3 in the 124th edition of The Game on Saturday afternoon on Day Field, the largest margin of victory for the Yellow Jackets in the history of the series.
Score: Randolph-Macon 45, Hampden-Sydney 3
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 8-2, 7-1 ODAC; Hampden-Sydney 1-9, 0-8 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jacket defense held the Tigers to 3-and-out on their first possession. R-MC then drove 60 yards in seven plays, as sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) scored from two yards out to give the Yellow Jackets a 7-0 lead with 9:38 left in the first period.
- Following an exchange of punts, H-SC moved to the RMC 5, but had to settle for a field goal, making it 7-3 with 1:01 remaining in the first quarter.
- R-MC drove to the H-SC 17 early in the second period, as junior Chris Vidal (Wake Forest, N.C./Wake Forest) nailed a 34-yard field goal to push the lead to 10-3 with 11:39 left until halftime.
- After the Yellow Jackets stopped the Tigers on fourth down, R-MC drove to the HSC 37. Facing fourth down, Estes hit senior wide receiver Trey Owens (Havelock, N.C./Havelock) on a slant that went the distance, giving the home team a 17-3 advantage with just under two minutes remaining in the first half.
- Both teams had 169 yards of total offense. Frederick ran 11 times for 70 yards, while Estes was 7 for 8 for 63 yards.
- Yellow Jacket seniors dominated the second half, as R-MC outscored H-SC 28-0. The Yellow Jackets took the opening kickoff of the third period and drove 65 yards in 10 plays, as senior running back Marcus Bazala (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) scored from two yards out to make it 24-3. Late in the period, Estes hit Frederick with a 40-yard swing pass for a touchdown as the Yellow Jackets led 31-3.
- Senior wide receiver Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) scored from five yards out early in the final period as the advantage grew to 38-3. Senior linebacker Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) snagged an interception and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown, making the final 45-3.
By The Numbers:
- The Yellow Jackets gained nearly 500 yards of total offense. R-MC had 276 yards on the ground and 218 through the air.
- R-MC held the ball for nearly 37 minutes against H-SC. The Yellow Jackets have held the advantage in time of possession for each game this season.
- The Yellow Jackets have beaten the Tigers six straight times, matching the longest win streak for R-MC in the history of the series.
For The Record:
- The R-MC senior class now has 33 career victories, a program record.
- Frederick raised his season rushing total to 1,091 yards. He is the first Yellow Jacket to have four 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Frederick has 5,147 career rushing yards, 202 yards away from the state record held by Thomas Haskins of VMI, who amassed 5,349 rushing yards.
- If Randolph-Macon does not receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Playoffs, the Yellow Jackets will participate in the inaugural Neptune Bowl against The Apprentice School in Virginia Beach on Saturday, Nov. 23 at 2 p.m.