ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Chris Vidal (Wake Forest, N.C./Wake Forest) executed a successful onside kick with 37 seconds remaining and nailed a 38-yard field goal with two seconds left as the Randolph-Macon football team rallied for a 36-35 ODAC victory over Washington and Lee on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 36, Washington and Lee 35
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 7-1, 6-0 ODAC; Washington and Lee 4-4, 3-3 ODAC
How it Happened:
- After the Yellow Jackets were held without a first down on their first possession, the Generals drove 46 yards for a touchdown and an early 7-0 lead. Following an exchange of punts, R-MC took over on its own 43 and used 10 plays to tie the game. Freshman quarterback Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) ran the final eight yards to give the Yellow Jackets their first score and a 7-7 tie with 1:42 left in the first period.
- R-MC put together a 14-play, 62-yard drive in the second quarter, as Egbers hit senior DeAndre Gill (Roanoke, Va./William Fleming) with a 15-yard TD pass as the Yellow Jackets led 13-7 at intermission.
- W&L completed a 66-yard TD pass in the third quarter and took a 14-13 advantage into the final period.
- Early in the fourth quarter, Vidal hit a 25-yard field goal to put the home team on top 16-14. On the second play of its next drive, the Generals hit a 75-yard TD pass to reclaim the lead at 21-16.
- Vidal made another 25-yard field goal with 6:47 remaining to pull the Yellow Jackets within one at 21-19. A 75-yard scoring run by W&L made it 28-19 with 6:34 left.
- R-MC moved down the field and sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) scored from one-yard out as the Yellow Jackets again pulled within two at 28-26 with 3:17 remaining.
- The Generals had another 75-yard TD run to go up 35-26 with 3:06 left.
- The Yellow Jackets started on their own 12 on their next drive, going 88 yards in 11 plays in 2:27 as Egbers hit junior Mike Avent (Richmond, Va./Highland Springs) with a six-yard TD pass as R-MC narrowed the gap again to two at 35-33 with 39 seconds remaining.
- Vidal bounced an onside kick to the left side that hit off a W&L player and was recovered by freshman Cade Jones (Wilmington, N.C./Eugene Ashley) on the R-MC 46. Egbers moved the Yellow Jackets to the W&L 21. The snap was not clean, but Ihle quickly set the ball as Vidal nailed a 38-yard field goal with two seconds left to give R-MC a 36-35 lead. The Generals completed one pass, but senior Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) recovered a potential lateral to seal the R-MC victory.
By The Numbers:
- There were 27 points scored in the first three quarters and 44 points put up in the fourth quarter.
- R-MC ran 95 plays and had 502 yards of total offense. The Yellow Jackets had 284 yards on the ground. Senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) rushed 32 times for 154 yards. Egbers has 21 carries for 115 yards.
- Egbers completed 23 of 35 passes for 218 yards and two scores.
- Junior linebacker Tyler DeBerry (Greensboro, N.C./Page) led the defense with nine tackles, including seven solo stops. He shared a sack and had 1.5 tackles for loss.
For The Record:
- The Yellow Jackets have won seven straight games.
- Randolph-Macon is tied with Bridgewater with 6-0 ODAC records. The teams will play at Bridgewater next Saturday, Nov. 9 at 1 p.m. to determine the 2019 ODAC Champion.