GREENSBORO, N.C. – Senior Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) recorded 280 all-purpose yards and had one touchdown to lead the Randolph-Macon football team to a 34-21 ODAC victory at Guilford on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 34, Guilford 21
Location/Venue: Greensboro, N.C./Appenzeller Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 4-1, 3-0 ODAC; Guilford 1-4, 0-3 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Quakers scored the first touchdown of the game with 6:19 left in the first period. Foster had a 34-yard kickoff return, putting the Yellow Jackets on their own 39. R-MC would use eight plays to move 61 yards to the end zone, as sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) ran it in from nine yards out to level the score at 7-7 with 58 seconds left in the first quarter.
- The Yellow Jacket defense held GC to three-and-out and a 29-yard punt return by Foster gave R-MC the ball on the GC 47. Freshman quarterback Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) capped the scoring drive with a 12-yard touchdown run as the Yellow Jackets went on top 14-7 with 11:22 remaining in the second period.
- The Quakers would tally their second TD with four minutes left until halftime, tying the score at 14-14.
- A 65-yard kickoff return by Foster gave the Yellow Jackets the ball on the GC 34. R-MC faced 4th-and-5 at the GC 9. Freshman Gavin Stone (Leesburg, Va./Riverside) nailed a 26-yard field goal to give the visitors a 17-14 edge at intermission.
- In the first half, Foster had three kickoff returns for 125 yards, four punt returns for 57 yards, two rushes for 12 yards and three catches for nine yards.
- GC took the opening kickoff of the third quarter and moved deep into R-MC territory. On a long run by the Quaker quarterback, senior linebacker Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) chased him down from behind and knocked the ball loose. The ball rolled out of bounds through the end zone, a touchback that gave the Yellow Jackets the ball on their own 20. R-MC would drive 80 yards in 13 plays, as Egbers hit freshman wide receiver Nariq Bailey (Roanoke, Va./North Cross) with a 22-yard scoring strike to give the Yellow Jackets a 24-14 advantage with 3:25 left in the third period.
- Senior cornerback De'Angelo Barr (Washington, D.C./Fairfax) and sophomore defensive end Jacob Hutchinson (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) combined on a sack on third and long, and a 22-yard punt return by Foster gave the Yellow Jackets the ball on their own 41. R-MC moved 59 yards in seven plays, as Egbers found Foster in the end zone from five yards out to make it 31-14 with 12:52 left in the fourth quarter.
- Foster took a punt 37 yards to the GC 14. Sophomore Colin Booker (Lynchburg, Va./Heritage) made a 33-yard field goal with 6:36 remaining to give the Yellow Jackets a 34-14 lead.
- The Quakers added a touchdown with 3:50 left to make the final score 34-21.
By The Numbers:
- Foster had three kickoff returns for 125 yards, with a long of 65. He had six punt returns for 116 yards, with a long of 37. Foster had six receptions for 27 yards and one touchdown.
- Egbers completed 16 of 21 passes for 160 yards and two touchdowns.
- Stone punted four times for 147 yards, an average of 36.8 yards per kick. All four of his punts went inside the GC 20.
- Whitehead and Matthew Vergara tied for the team lead with 11 tackles. Whitehead had two tackles for loss, while Vergara had 1.5. Joel Calkins added nine tackles.
For The Record:
- R-MC has won four straight games.
- Randolph-Macon will return to Day Field on Saturday, Oct. 12 for a Homecoming ODAC contest against Shenandoah at 1 p.m.