ASHLAND, Va. – Senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit junior running back Justin DeLeon (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) on a 53-yard touchdown pass midway through the fourth quarter as the Randolph-Macon football team pulled out a 20-17 over E&H on Saturday afternoon to kick off ODAC play.
Note: Online stats are not currently available. They will be available later this evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 20, Emory & Henry 17
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 2-1, 1-0; Emory & Henry 0-2, 0-1
How it Happened:
- The Wasps started the scoring by hitting a 47-yard field goal midway through the first period to take a 3-0 lead. E&H added a touchdown five minutes into the second quarter to go up 10-0.
- E&H was driving toward another score before junior linebacker Matthew Vergara (Chesterfield, Va./Benedictine) picked off a pass and returned it to the E&H45. Estes hit senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) on a 45-yard scoring strike with 4:37 left to pull the Yellow Jackets within three at 10-7. That would be the score at intermission.
- Estes had a two-yard TD run three minutes into the fourth quarter as R-MC took its first lead at 13-10.
- E&H drove and scored a touchdown with 9:43 left to reclaim the lead at 17-13. The ensuing kickoff went out of bounds, giving R-MC the ball on its 35. On the fourth play of the drive, Estes hit DeLeon on a 53-yard TD pass to put the Yellow Jackets on top 20-17. E&H would get the ball two more times, but the R-MC defense would keep them out of the end zone to preserve the victory.
By The Numbers:
- Estes hit 7 of 17 passes for 200 yards and two TDs. Frederick carried 20 times for 89 yards.
- Senior linebacker Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) paded the Yellow Jackets with seven tackles, including two tackles for loss for minus-10 yards. Junior safety Victor Robinson (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) had six tackles, including one for loss, and one pass breakup.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Ferrum on Saturday, Sept. 28 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.