DANVILLE, Va. – Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) had 29 carries for 198 yards and one touchdown, a game-winning 33-yard sprint with 1:14 left in the contest, as the Randolph-Macon football team scored the final 21 points in a 30-27 victory at Averett on Saturday evening. Frederick has 4,316 career rushing yards, the top total in ODAC history.
Score: Randolph-Macon 30, Averett 27
Location/Venue: Danville, Va./Campbell Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon 1-1, Averett 1-1
How it Happened:
- The Cougars returned the opening kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown. The PAT kick hit off the upright and AU led 6-0 just 14 seconds into the contest. The Yellow Jackets took the ensuing kickoff and moved 64 yards in 12 plays, driving to the AU 11. A 28-yard field goal attempt by sophomore Colin Brooker (Lynchburg, Va./Heritage) went wide left as the score remained 6-0.
- The R-MC defense held the Cougars to three-and-out and the Yellow Jackets took over on the AU 48. R-MC drove to the 14 and Brooker hit a 31-yard field goal as the visitors pulled within three at 6-3 with 3:11 left in the first period.
- AU would add a second TD early in the second period to take a 13-3 lead with 13:01 remaining until halftime. Following a pair of punts, the Yellow Jackets drove to the AU 11. The Cougars returned an interception 99 yards for a touchdown to take a 20-3 lead with just over four minutes remaining.
- R-MC used seven plays to drive 69 yards, as senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit senior wide receiver Trey Owens (Havelock, N.C./Havelock) with a 15-yard scoring pass to make it 20-9 at the half. It was the second career TD for Owens.
- The Yellow Jackets took the opening kickoff of the second half and moved 63 yards in 12 plays to the AU 12. A bad snap on the field goal attempt kept R-MC off the scoreboard. AU took over and manufactured a TD drive to take a 27-9 lead with 2:39 left in the third period.
- R-MC drove 81 yards in six plays, as Estes hit senior wide receiver Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) with a 10-yard TD toss on the first play of the fourth quarter to make it 27-16.
- After the Yellow Jacket defense stopped AU on 3rd and 1 on the RM 37, R-MC took over on its 17 with 7:37 remaining. Estes hit Foster on a short pass and Foster took it to the house for a touchdown to make it 27-22 with 6:50 left.
- The R-MC defense again held AU without a first down and the Yellow Jackets took over on their 35 with 4:34 remaining. R-MC used nine plays to go 65 yards to record the winning touchdown. Frederick carried the ball seven times, including 33 to pay dirt on the final play of the drive, to give R-MC a 28-27 edge with 1:14 left. Estes ran the ball in on the two-point conversion to make it 30-27.
- AU hit a pass across midfield on its first play, but senior linebacker Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) forced a fumble and senior safety Anthony Williams (Ashburn, Va./Woodgrove) recovered on the RM 49. Estes took a knee three times as R-MC held on for the victory.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC dominated the stat sheet. The Yellow Jackets ran 73 plays for 510 yards, while the Cougars ran 43 plays for 261 yards. R-MC held a 27-8 advantage in first downs. The Yellow Jackets had 52 carries for 260 yards, while the Cougars had 29 carries for 68 yards. Estes was 13 of 20 for 250 yards and three touchdowns. AU was 10 of 14 for 173 yards and one score. R-MC held the ball for 36:27, while AU had it for 23:33.
- Frederick has 4,316 career rushing yards. He passed the total of 4,276 by former Yellow Jacket Remon Smith (1984-87) for the program and ODAC record. Frederick is seventh on the career rushing list for the state of Virginia.
- Frederick has 776 career rushing attempts, the second-highest total in ODAC history. He trails the total of 786 by Anthony Lawrence of Bridgewater (1986-89).
- Randolph-Macon will begin ODAC play by hosting Emory & Henry on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 1 p.m. on Day Field as part of Family Weekend.