ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon offense picked up 163 yards through the air and 151 on the ground, while the Yellow Jacket defense recorded three takeaways, in a 24-14 victory over Averett Saturday evening in front of a crown of 2,447 fans at Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 24, Averett 14
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 1-1, AU 1-1
How It Happened
- Following a scoreless first quarter, sophomore Chris Vidal (Wake, N.C./Wake Forest) capped a 58-yard drive with a 21-yard field goal midway through the second period to give the Yellow Jackets a 3-0 lead.
- The Cougars missed a 23-yard field goal late in the half, as R-MC took a 3-0 lead to the locker room at the break.
- The R-MC defense forced AU to punt on its first possession of the second half. On a 4th-and-8 play from the AU 29, junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit junior Deandre Gill (Roanoke, Va./William Fleming) on a TD pass to put the Yellow Jackets on top 10-0.
- Junior Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) recovered a fumble on the AU 6 late in the third quarter and senior Sean McDonald (Clarke County, Va./Clarke County) scored from two yards out to extend the lead to 17-0.
- The Cougars put together a 96-yard TD drive to get on the board with 13 minutes left in the fourth quarter and added a touchdown a minute later following an interception to pull within three at 17-14.
- R-MC moved 75 yards in 10 plays, all but one play on the ground, as sophomore Justin DeLeon (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) ran it in from four yards out to put the Yellow Jackets on top 24-14 with seven minutes remaining.
- The Yellow Jacket defense stopped AU on 4th and 1 from its own 34 and used seven plays to eat 3:16 off the clock. The Cougars took over on their own 16 and drove to the R-MC 23, where the drive was stopped by an interception by junior De'Angelo Barr (Washington, D.C./Fairfax) as the Yellow Jackets secured the victory.
Inside the Numbers
- Estes completed 13 of 22 passes for 163 yards and one score. Gill pulled in four receptions for 73 yards and a TD.
- Sophomore Jordan Hall (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) rushed 17 times for 76 yards, while DeLeon carried the ball 19 times for 64 yards and a score.
- The Yellow Jackets had no return yards on either kickoffs or punts.
- For the second straight game, junior Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) led the defense in tackles with eight.
- R-MC held the advantage in time of possession, keeping the ball for 35:05, compared to 24:55 for AU.
- R-MC will conclude its non-conference slate next Saturday, Sept. 15, with a 1 p.m. home contest against Catholic.