ASHLAND, Va. - Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) scored four times and junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) drove in four as the 23th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team defeated second-ranked Christopher Newport 8-2 on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: #23 Randolph-Macon 8, #2 Christopher Newport 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 23-8-1, CNU 30-6
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets drew first blood in the first. Duphorn had a leadoff single to short, stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch. Mike Nickles dumped a single into center to drive in Duphorn with the first run.
- After the Captains tied it with a run in the top of the second, R-MC took the lead for good in the bottom of the frame. With one away, junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) drew a walk and a base hit by senior second baseman Jarrett Mustain (Chesapeake, Va./Hickory) brought home Evans with the go-ahead run. A single by Duphorn drove in Grinde, and a double by Mike Nickles knocked in Mustain and Duphorn. Mike Nickles scored on an error as the Yellow Jackets took a 6-1 lead.
- CNU tallied a run in top of the third before R-MC responded in the fourth. Duphorn drew a leadoff walk, stole second and scored on a base hit by Mike Nickles as the home team went up 7-2.
- The Yellow Jackets added their final run in the sixth as Duphorn singled, stole second and came home on an error as R-MC took an 8-2 advantage.
By The Numbers
- Duphorn went 3 for 4 with a walk, four runs and one RBI.
- Duphorn stole three bases and now owns the program record for career stolen bases with 57.
- Mike Nickles went 3 for 5 with a double, one run, four RBI and two steals.
- Evans finished with two
- Junior right-hander Matt Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) earned the win, going the first two innings with three hits, one run, one walk and one strikeout to level his record at 3-3.
- R-MC had seven relievers each throw one inning, and the final six tossed scoreless frames. Senior Patrick Solomita (Chesterfield, Va./Manchester) fanned three in a hitless fourth. Sophomore right-hander James Womack (Chesterfield, Va./Matoaca) set the Captains down in order in the fifth. Senior Daniel Lachance (Clifton, Va./Centreville) retired three straight in the seventh. Sophomore Zack Radcliffe (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) allowed one hit and struck out two in the eighth.
- R-MC has outscored its opponents 51-15 in the first inning this season.
- Top-seeded Randolph-Macon will host an ODAC Tournament best-of-three first round series this weekend on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park. Game 1 between the Yellow Jackets and eighth-seeded Eastern Mennonite will be on Friday, May 3 at 3 p.m. Game 2 is scheduled for Saturday, May 4 at noon. If a third game is needed, it will be played 30 minutes following the conclusion of Game 2.