GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Randolph-Macon men's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to Guilford on Saturday afternoon.
Senior Pablo Bordas (Caracas, Venezuela/ Briar Woods) headlined the men's team, picking up two wins. In doubles, he and sophomore partner Jacob Haines (Springfield, Va./ West Springfield) beat the Guilford number three pair 8-6. Then in singles, Bordas played at the number six spot and won 6-4, 6-4.
R-MC lost a 2-1 advantage in doubles. In singles R-MC and Guilford split 3-3, with the Quakers coming out on top 5-4.
Freshman Grant Sarver (Richmond, Va./ Mills Godwin) won his match at the number three role, winning 6-2, 6-2. Also picking up a win was senior Stuart McCroskey, who played number five. He defeated his opponent in three sets, dropping the first set 4-6, then winning 6-4 in the second to force a tie breaker. McCroskey won the tie breaker 10-4 to give R-MC the point.
The Yellow Jackets fall to 2-2 and 1-1 in the ODAC. R-MC wil be back in action on Saturday with a home ODAC match against Hampden-Sydney.
Guilford 5, Randolph-Macon 4
1. Mesa Martorell (GC) def. Jacob Haines (RMCM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Jon-Anthony Thomas (GC) def. Baxter Carter (RMCM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Grant Sarver (RMCM) def. Mason Church (GC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Levi Bruff (GC) def. Alex Curnow (RMCM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Stuart McCroskey (RMCM) def. Graham Pearson (GC) 4-6, 6-4, 10-1
6. Pablo Bordas (RMCM) def. Mark Wasilewski (GC) 6-4, 6-4